Day In The Life of a WRFI Student

Prospective Students How is WRFI Different Plans and Preparations Ask an Alum

We are often asked: “How does a WRFI course work?” Great question! While no two days on a WRFI course are the same, there are components of every WRFI course that are consistent and form the framework for how every WRFI student spends their days on course.

Let’s start with some definitions:


Backcountry = wildlands setting with sparse human inhabitation or impact. WRFI courses explore backcountry settings by foot and by boat, depending on which course you choose.

Backcountry sections are characterized by following a route from campsite to campsite, exploring and having class each day along the way.


Front-Country = municipal setting characterized by human habitation and/or a built environment. WRFI courses travel through small rural communities in Montana, the American Southwest, and the Canadian provinces of Alberta and British Columbia.

Front-country sections are characterized by meetings with guest speakers, site visits, class time, re-supplying food and gear as needed, and traveling in the WRFI van to the next backcountry trailhead or launch site. When in a front-country setting, WRFI groups will still be camping.

Every course is a little different, but on average, students can expect to spend around 50-75% of their course in a backcountry setting. The other 50- 25% of time is spent in a front-country setting. Each WRFI course itinerary is split into “front-country” sections and “backcountry” sections that alternate throughout the course.

Assignments and Readings

Students find that their readings and assignments feel relatively similar on a WRFI course to what they may experience on campus. Each course has comprehensive course syllabi that outline course descriptions, assignments, grading rubrics, learning objectives, and course readings. A major difference for students on a WRFI course is that they tend to write quite a bit more than they do in an average class on campus and will not have standard multiple-choice exams. Common assignments on WRFI courses include essay responses to instructor prompts, entries for WRFI’s blog that features student writing exclusively, journaling assignments designed to encourage synthesis and reflection of materials, discussions, and experiences, as well as occasional exams focused on short answer essay questions. In addition to written assignments, students will be evaluated on participation and, on most courses, a final presentation. You will often find yourself curled up in your sleeping bag at night, reading or working your assignments for the next day by headlamp- much as you would find yourself in the library at night if you were back on campus. On average, students spend between 2-3 hours a day on course readings and assignments.

Expedition Responsibilities

One of the most important aspects of an overall WRFI experience is the small group setting. Learning to function in a small group offers students the opportunity to hone skills associated with communication, leadership, empathy, and personal reflection. WRFI groups often become extremely tight-knit and life-long friendships are formed on every single course. We expect students to respect the context of a small group and to practice tolerance and compassion towards fellow group members. There are a number of expedition responsibilities that rotate throughout the group, for the duration of the course: cooking, cleaning, organizing gear, Leader of the Day, and assisting instructors in various aspects of group management. Clear expectations of expedition responsibilities will be laid out during the course orientation and groups will invariably find a distinct rhythm that works for them and plays to everyone’s strengths.

Bathing & Connecting With The Outside World

During those sections when the group is in a front-country setting, they will often have the opportunity to take a shower and find a window of time to connect with the outside world. Most courses also have a “recess” day or two at some point to give students a chance to attend to personal needs and take a brief break from the rigors of being on a field course.

WRFI's turning 30 years old in 2024! Click Here to learn more!
+ +